Marking the week

Mark-making tools

...so many amazing conversations this week...my head is spinning...

These pictures and essays and websites and code poems...all of it. Your work inspires me.

I am reading Maxine Greene and thinking about being an artist educator within the framework she illuminates.

We may have reached a moment in our history when teaching and learning, if they are to happen meaningfully, must happen on the verge. Confronting a void, confronting nothingness, we may be able to empower the young to create and re-create a common world—and, in cherishing it, in renewing, discover what it signifies to be free. (Dialectic of Freedom, p. 23)

The common space emerges from our conversation and I am transported to the edge of something I don't know how to describe. I'm on the verge. I am the young and your work is the teacher; in class and at the coffee shop I learn again and again that mark making matters (whether with a camera, a crayon, a line of text or a string of code on a computer), and that I am so lucky to be sharing this journey with you.

Thanks to everybody.

Mark-making tools
Pictures from the week at Teachers College, Columbia, in-between reading and writing and teaching and talking.

See also: Maxine Greene: The Importance of Personal Reflection and the Collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tech Thoughts on Teaching & Learning

Connecting the Learning Process

Tree Project, Winter