Picturing Beijing

JingShan Park, Nancy

This morning I saw the sun rise in Beijing, hazy and white.

Across the top of the world, from thirty-five thousand feet, in blazing sunlight, I stared at ice on the surface of the far north sea.

This evening, home on the porch with Diana, Staten Island, New York City, I watched the sun set on the western hills of New Jersey.

In my mind I see the hotel room I left this morning and watch again the growing brightness from the rising sun on the other side of the world.

In my mind the globe is whole, the map complete -- without flattening, without projection, without metaphor.

Somehow it feels like a miracle, though I don't believe in miracles. Instead I know that simple technology and fossil fuels are responsible. And yet, tonight, experience feels contiguous, and I feel lucky, rested, connected, human.

Tomorrow the jet-lag and discombobulation will catch up with me, and I'll have to rely on pictures once again. But tonight, Beijing and New York rest side by side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tech Thoughts on Teaching & Learning

Connecting the Learning Process

Tree Project, Winter