Tree Project Start


At the Horticultural Society of New York on Friday I picked up my persimmon seed. I wrote about Hiroshi Sunairi's Tree Project back in March (here), and now I'm ready to start. Today it's time for the next step:

Process 2: Planting the Seed

Please use unglazed ceramic pots (regular terra cotta ones) so the soil can breathe and dry naturally. In plastic pots, the soil takes much longer to dry and there is a chance that the young roots can rot if watered too much. Set the pot near a window with plenty of sun. When they haven't yet sprouted, it is important to keep the soild moist all the time. Once they sprout, water only when the soil dries out, otherwise the roots can get too wet and rot.


This is what Hiroshi writes on the instruction sheet that I picked up at the HSNY. I've re-typed it here to embed it in my nervous system. I've already learned something. As simple as that instruction is, I didn't know the difference between the plastic pots and the terra cota ones.




Actually, I'm not so great with plants and I'm a little anxious about not doing this right. It might be outrageous to say this, but the green stuff in my life has just been background noise, or salad. Don't get me wrong — I love the park and I really like walks in the woods — but I've rarely been able to keep a house plant alive for more than a few months. And I've just never put any thought or energy into gardening or growing. Planting and caring for a tree feels a bit over the top; I might be documenting a disaster in the making.



Frankly, this little persimmon seed terrifies me. And I'm so grateful to Hiroshi for pulling me outside of my comfort zone, getting me into this conversation.



Thanks also to the Horticultural Society of New York for helping Hiroshi make this amazing project possible. Their space on 37th Street is bright and green and wonderful. After Chris got the seed from the fridge, and after I'd taken a deep breath or two, I let myself get wrapped up in their amazing library of plant illustrations and the wonderful exhibit by Carol Bove and Janine Lariviere.

I have to say that as far as inspiration goes, I'm feeling it today from a different direction than usual, and that's pretty cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting the Learning Process

Tech Thoughts on Teaching & Learning

Tree Project, Winter